The Brookline Lawyers

Call Us Today

Does the restaurant owner or landlord provide liability insurance?

Additional Information:

I am hopefully going to open my first restaurant in the Greater Boston area and have just reviewed the lease. Who typically covers liability insurance? The restaurant owner or the landlord, or both?  If a customer falls and injures him/herself, and I don’t have my own liability insurance, wouldn’t I be at risk if the restaurant got sued for personal injury?


The landlord typically insures the commercial property for loss due to fire, flood etc.  It is almost universally the tenant’s obligation to obtain and maintain liability insurance.  Most landlords require proof of insurance prior to the commencement of business and usually at the time the lease is signed.  Most tenants of commercial property are corporations in part to further protect principals from personal liability in the event of injury. 

Our Greater Boston Restaurant Attorneys provide legal representation for restaurant transactions and all related matters and serve individuals and business in Newton and the Boston Metrowest communities including: Brookline, Watertown, Waltham, Weston, Wellesley, Needham and Dedham.


Get a Case Evaluation

We are happy to provide a consultation to all first time clients.

Please complete the form below and we will contact you.

    Call Now