The Brookline Lawyers

Call Us Today

What is the best way to handle financial matters in a divorce?

Additional Information:

What is the best way to handle finances and separation of assets in a divorce?  My wife and I just separated and she is currently an at home mom in Brookline. We’ve figured out a schedule in regard to the children but don’t know how to handle expenses and splitting assets.


The best method is for both you and your wife to fill out a court financial form (I can send them to you or you can download them from our Web site), and figure out precisely what the income and expenses are for your wife and your children, and for you and the home where you are living.  Then try to work out a fair and informal arrangement between you and your wife.  When you decide to file for divorce you or your wife may file what are called “Temporary Orders” for support.  However, you should plan carefully for Temporary Orders as they can often become the basis of a permanent order in a divorce settlement. 

Our Brookline divorce lawyers have the experience, knowledge and resources to provide clients with effective and efficient legal representation.  We serve the entire Greater Boston region including all Norfolk County and Middlesex County, as well as Allston, Belmont, Brighton, Boston, Cambridge, Chestnut Hill, Cleveland Circle, Coolidge Corner, Dedham, Dover, Jamaica Plain, Milton, Needham, Newton, Waltham, Watertown, Wayland, Wellesley, and Weston.


Get a Case Evaluation

We are happy to provide a consultation to all first time clients.

Please complete the form below and we will contact you.

    Call Now